A facial breakout is a skin condition that typically causes one or more of the following: blackheads, whiteheads, and skin inflammation. Acne generally affects the skin of the face, back, neck, chest, and arms. It is one of the most common skin conditions that affects about 80% of the people at some point in their lives.
An increase in the size of oil glands leads to an increased production of oil in the skin. At the same time, the dead skin cells are not properly shed, which clogs up the skin pores. Due to this, there is a build-up of oil in the hair follicles. This blocks the openings of the glands, and leads to the formation of blackheads and whiteheads. The build-up of oil in the hair follicles creates an ideal environment for bacteria called propionibacterium to grow. They feed on the sebum and produce substances that cause inflammation of the skin and redness associated with spots.
- Lack of proper hygiene
- Hormonal imbalance
- Lack of sleep
- Stress and anxiety
- Environmental pollution
- Stomach disorders like indigestion or constipation
- Allergic reaction to certain cosmetics
The major cause of acne is hormonal imbalance, particularly during puberty, pregnancy, and menstruation. There is a surge of the estrogen during this period which overstimulates the sebaceous glands. This produces extra sebum, which causes clogging of the cells.
There are several ways you can prevent acne from appearing on your skin. The first step is to follow a good skin care regimen that includes proper cleansing, toning, and moisturizing. You only need to follow this simple routine to get healthy acne-free skin. It is important to keep acne prone areas clean, so wash the affected area twice a day with a hypoallergenic cleaner. While cleansing your face, use products that are suitable for your skin type. Look for ingredients like salicylic acid, alpha hydroxy acid, benzoyl peroxide, tea tree extract, and beta hydroxy acid. Keep in mind that the skin needs a certain amount of oil to maintain its natural moisture, so avoid over-washing your face. Avoid squeezing or picking your zits, as this will cause scarring of the skin. During the day, apply a light non-comedogenic moisturizer, and apply a night cream containing azelaic acid or kojic acid before bed which will help to slough off dead cells that clog the pores. Avoid using scrubs that have rough granules, like walnut shells, as this might aggravate breakouts and cause skin inflammation.
There are several ways of treating acne on your face, and the best way is to try home remedies. Here are some popular and effective remedies.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of orange peel with 1 tablespoon of yogurt. Apply this paste on your face, and leave it on for 5 to 6 minutes. When it is dry, wash it off with water.
- Make a thick paste of 2 tablespoons of oatmeal with 2 tablespoons of yogurt. Apply this on your face for 4 to 5 minutes, and then wash it off with cold water.
- Apply a mixture of 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil with 1 tablespoon of lemon zest on your face. Leave this mixture on for 5 to 6 minutes, and then wash it off with warm water.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of fresh tomato juice with 1 tablespoon of crushed mint. Apply this on your face for around 10 to 12 minutes, and wash off with cold water.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of cinnamon with 2 tablespoons of honey. Apply this mixture on your face and let it dry; then wash it off with cold water.
- Apply a mixture of raw grated potatoes with 1 tablespoon of chamomile essential oil. Leave this paste on for around 20 minutes and then wash off with cold water. This will not only help in getting rid the zits on your face, but will also help to fade dark circles and pigmentation.
If all these home remedies do not work, then you need to consult a dermatologist who will suggest antibiotics to treat severe acne. Over the counter medications that are in the form of topical creams containing ingredients like salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide are also useful. The best way to prevent acne is by following a healthy diet and keeping the body hydrated by drinking sufficient water. With a proper skin care regimen, you can get a blemish free and radiant complexion.