Bright light exposure synchronizes the central circadian clock in our brains, whereas proper meal timing helps sync the timing of the clock genes throughout the rest of our body.
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org’s free newsletter at https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and receive recipes developed by the NF staff that will fuel your fitness goals.
If light exposure and meal timing helps keeps everything synced, what happens when our circumstances prevent us from sticking to a normal daytime cycle? We’ll find out next week in The Metabolic Harms of Night Shifts and Irregular Meals (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-metabolic-harms-of-night-shifts-and-irregular-meals).
If you’re just coming into the series, be sure to catch up with:
• Is Breakfast the Most Important Meal for Weight Loss? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-breakfast-the-most-important-meal-for-weight-loss)
• Is Skipping Breakfast Better for Weight Loss? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-skipping-breakfast-better-for-weight-loss)
• Chronobiology – How Circadian Rhythms Can Control Your Health and Weight (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/chronobiology-how-circadian-rhythms-can-control-your-health-and-weight)
• Eat More Calories in the Morning to Lose Weight (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/eat-more-calories-in-the-morning-to-lose-weight)
• Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince, Dinner Like a Pauper (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/breakfast-like-a-king-lunch-like-a-prince-dinner-like-a-pauper)
• Eat More Calories in the Morning Than the Evening (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/eat-more-calories-in-the-morning-than-the-evening)
• How Circadian Rhythms Affect Blood Sugar Levels (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-circadian-rhythms-affect-blood-sugar-levels)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-sync-your-central-circadian-clock-to-your-peripheral-clocks and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-sync-your-central-circadian-clock-to-your-peripheral-clocks. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then "Subtitles/CC."
Do you have feedback about the translations in this video? Please share it here along with the title of the video and language: https://nutritionfacts.zendesk.com/hc/requests/new
• Subscribe: https://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: https://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• How Not to Die: https://nutritionfacts.org/book
• NEW BOOK – How Not to Diet: https://nutritionfacts.org/how-not-to-diet/
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: https://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Podcast: https://nutritionfacts.org/audio/