New data suggests even paper filtered coffee may raise LDL bad cholesterol.
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at http://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO DIE. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from his books, DVDs, and speaking directly support NutritionFacts.org).
In my chapters in How Not to Die (https://nutritionfacts.org/book/) on liver disease, depression, and Parkinson’s, I discussed the benefits of coffee for the liver, mind, and brain. Coffee drinkers do seem to live longer and have lower cancer rates overall, but coffee may worsen acid reflux disease, bone loss, glaucoma, and urinary incontinence. Bottom line I don’t recommend drinking coffee, but mainly that’s just because every cup of coffee is a lost opportunity to drink something even healthier—a cup of green tea, which wouldn’t have the adverse cholesterol consequences.
Here’s some more coffee vids:
• Preventing Liver Cancer with Coffee (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/preventing-liver-cancer-with-coffee/)
• Coffee and Artery Function (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/coffee-and-artery-function/)
• Coffee and Mortality (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/coffee-and-mortality)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-coffee-affect-cholesterol and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-coffee-affect-cholesterol. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgments for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then “Subtitles/CC.”
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Google+: https://plus.google.com/+NutritionfactsOrgMD
• Podcast : http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/