Dark green leafy vegetables are the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. What’s the best way to prepare them?
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter and get the Evidence-Based Eating Guide: A Healthy Living Resource from Dr. Greger and NutritionFacts.org. Sign up at https://www.nutritionfacts.org/healthkit.
I often get questions about how to prepare certain foods to maximize their benefits, so I love when I can bring you videos like this one and Best Way to Cook Vegetables. I have a few more on optimum cooking methods, too. Check out:
• Best Cooking Method (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/best-cooking-method/)
• Sometimes the Enzyme Myth Is True (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/sometimes-the-enzyme-myth-is-true/)
• The Best Way to Cook Sweet Potatoes (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-best-way-to-cook-sweet-potatoes/)
• Second Strategy to Cooking Broccoli (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/second-strategy-to-cooking-broccoli/)
• Inhibiting Platelet Activation with Garlic and Onions (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/inhibiting-platelet-activation-with-garlic-and-onions)
• How to Cook Rice to Lower Arsenic Levels (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-cook-rice-to-lower-arsenic-levels/)
I mentioned microwaving: Are Microwaves Safe? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Are-Microwaves-Safe). And what about The Effects of Radiation Leaking from Microwave Ovens? (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-effects-of-radiation-leaking-from-microwave-ovens/). Watch the video!
If you’re watching this, you probably know by now how important it is to eat greens everyday. But here are some videos for a refresher:
• Eating Green to Prevent Cancer (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/eating-green-to-prevent-cancer/)
• The Broccoli Receptor: Our First Line of Defense (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-broccoli-receptor-our-first-line-of-defense-2/)
• Greens vs. Glaucoma (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/greens-vs-glaucoma/)
• Preventing Alzheimer’s Disease with Plants (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/preventing-alzheimers-disease-with-plants/)
• Slowing Our Metabolism with Nitrate-Rich Vegetables (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/slowing-metabolism-nitrate-rich-vegetables/)
• Dr. Greger’s Daily Dozen Checklist (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/dr-gregers-daily-dozen-checklist/)
• The Benefits of Kale & Cabbage for Cholesterol (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-benefits-of-kale-and-cabbage-for-cholesterol/)
• Foods to Improve Athletic Performance & Recovery (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/foods-to-improve-athletic-performance-and-recovery/)
• Brain Healthy Foods to Fight Aging (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/brain-healthy-foods-to-fight-aging)
Just remember that anyone who eats cups a day (as they should!) of dark green leafy vegetables should probably stick to low-oxalate greens (i.e. basically any greens other than spinach, swiss chard, and beet greens) to avoid the risk of kidney stones. I’ve got videos coming up on that as well as what happens when you pressure cook greens (I’m looking at you Instant Pot). Stay tuned!
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-cook-greens and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-cook-greens. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then “Subtitles/CC.”
To view the subtitles in transcript format, click on the ellipsis button below the video, choose “Open transcript”, and select the language you’d like to view them in.
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Podcast : http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/