The case for using a plant-based diet to reduce the burden of diabetes has never been stronger.
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter and get the Evidence-Based Eating Guide: A Healthy Living Resource from Dr. Greger and NutritionFacts.org. Sign up at https://www.nutritionfacts.org/healthkit.
If all a plant-based diet could do is prevent and reverse the number one killer of men and women (heart disease), shouldn’t it be the default diet until proven otherwise? (See How Not to Die from Heart Disease (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-not-to-die-from-heart-disease)) Yet the evidence for the benefits of a more plant-based diet continues to emerge for a variety of other life-threatening chronic diseases.
I’ve previously discussed plant-based diets and diabetes in:
• Plant-Based Diets and Diabetes (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/Plant-Based-Diets-and-Diabetes)
• Plant-Based Diets for Diabetes (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/plant-based-diets-for-diabetes)
• Benefits of a Macrobiotic Diet for Diabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/benefits-of-a-macrobiotic-diet-for-diabetes)
• How Not to Die from Diabetes (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-not-to-die-from-diabetes/)
• Reversing Diabetes with Food (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/reversing-diabetes-with-food)
• Diabetes Reversal: Is It the Calories or the Food? (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/diabetes-reversal-is-it-the-calories-or-the-food)
And what was that about stopping kidney decline in its tracks? See:
• Treating Chronic Kidney Disease with Food (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/treating-chronic-kidney-disease-with-food)
• Which Type of Protein Is Better for Our Kidneys? (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/which-type-of-protein-is-better-for-our-kidneys)
• How Not to Die from Kidney Disease (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-not-to-die-from-kidney-disease)
• How to Treat Heart Failure and Kidney Failure with Diet (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-treat-heart-failure-and-kidney-failure-with-diet)
Learn more about the dietary phytochemical index I mentioned in Calculate Your Healthy Eating Score (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/calculate-your-healthy-eating-score).
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-best-diet-for-diabetes and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-best-diet-for-diabetes. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then “Subtitles/CC.”
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Podcast : http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/