The remarkable impact of the structure of food beyond nutritional content or composition.
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter and get the Evidence-Based Eating Guide: A Healthy Living Resource from Dr. Greger and NutritionFacts.org. Sign up at https://www.nutritionfacts.org/healthkit.
In case you missed my previous cereal video, check out The Worst Food for Tooth Decay (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-worst-food-for-tooth-decay). It’s crazy how the same product can have such different effects on the body based on its processing. Beyond just focusing on whole rather than refined grains, the wholiest of all is intact grains. Instant oats are better than powdered oats, rolled oats are better than instant, steel-cut oats better than rolled, and intact oat groats are the best!
Check out this great cooking video of my Morning Grain Bowls (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/recipe-morning-grain-bowls/) from the How Not to Die Cookbook (http://nutritionfacts.org/cookbook).
More on the benefits of whole grains can be found in:
• How to Prevent High Blood Pressure with Diet (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-prevent-high-blood-pressure-with-diet/)
• Can Oatmeal Reverse Heart Disease? (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/can-oatmeal-reverse-heart-disease/)
• How to Change Your Enterotype (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-change-your-enterotype/)
• The Five to One Fiber Rule (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-five-to-one-fiber-rule/)
• Resistant Starch & Colon Cancer (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/resistant-starch-colon-cancer/)
• Getting Starch to Take the Path of Most Resistance (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/getting-starch-to-take-the-path-of-most-resistance/)
• How Not to Die from High Blood Pressure (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-not-to-die-from-high-blood-pressure)
• Gut Microbiome – Strike It Rich with Whole Grains (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/gut-microbiome-strike-it-rich-with-whole-grains/)
• Best Foods to Reduce Stroke Risk (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/best-foods-to-reduce-stroke-risk/)
• Microbiome: We Are What They Eat (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/microbiome-we-are-what-they-eat/)
• Pros and Cons of a Macrobiotic Diet (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/pros-and-cons-of-a-macrobiotic-diet/)
• Benefits of a Macrobiotic Diet for Diabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/benefits-of-a-macrobiotic-diet-for-diabetes)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/which-is-a-better-breakfast-cereal-or-oatmeal and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/which-is-a-better-breakfast-cereal-or-oatmeal. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then “Subtitles/CC.”
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Podcast : http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/